I can't recall the last time I was so frustrated. Perhaps it is because my MFA is nearing its completion, or perhaps because completing my MFA opened up a series of questions regarding my future activities that I did not have to deal with before. UTSA was and is an adventure. Most students I know take a slight brake between bachelor's and master's degrees. For me, the entire experience turned into a 9-year long marathon....
With physical and mental exhaustion aside, I’m actually glad that my race is approaching a finish line. After constantly chasing perfection and aesthetic balance, as well as never repeating the same technique twice in any two projects – necessitating starting from ground zero each and every time, I look forward to reevaluating my accomplishments, analyzing areas for improvement, and converging on the elements that will directly couple to my aspirations, interests and future career growth.
Completing bachelor’s degree certainly made a certain directional input, but graduate school was truly the time of experimentation and personal development. The image that began to shape up when I started the program is much clearer now. Taking approach to art and recombining multiple techniques opened up a lot of philosophically unexplored topics that I did not know existed. These topics never relied on any one technique, and gave rise to many readings. The success of my path was not always directly evident from the feedback I was receiving, but the response of the art community was without a doubt – a testament to my trials and errors.
No comments:
Post a Comment