My name is Sojourn, and this blog will by my temporary stopover for an indeterminate amount of time. I often get asked what Sojourn means. I can only say that the word defines my stereotype, and incidentally, is a direct translation of my name.
I am always challenged when writing about myself since it involves a certain sense of objectivity and unbiased self-critique, but I will certainly give it my best effort. If I were to list things that I enjoy, the top of that list would definitely include watching. I like to observe, listen, think and analyze. I am not very outspoken and almost always avoid arguing. Over the years I slowly came to realization that everything one says is complemented by that which is not said out-loud. I like to link events, study and identify causes and their effects, and see how my silent opinions compare to those around me. I consider myself fairly open to ‘new’. I can easily spot a talent and share enormous sense of gratification when those around me become successful – be it family, close friends or my students.
I don’t push my theories and techniques and don’t force anyone to adopt my views. I like people that are independent and are not afraid to speak with conviction about what they believe – I perceive it as a trait of leadership.
As far as this class goes, I view it as an opportunity to reflect on my lifestyle. We live within a very dynamic environment, surrounded by a multitude of stimuli such as sound, colors, and movement. I would like to exploit these stimuli in a digital setting, not only because they are particularly important to me, but because I can be in direct control of them…
Hey Hey Hey Sojourn,
ReplyDeleteSo this is it. Our final year. Whew.
Coming in to the program together at an odd time, I find it interesting we began in a class together, then floated our own ways and now it seems we're concluding our adventure together in a couple of classes. What a wonderful full circle we have come! I am excited to see where your work has taken you and especially interested in how you plan on incorporating digital into your work.
I will definitely check out the website building links you mentioned. Thanks and I look forward to seeing where this class takes you/us.
Identity in the age of the internet is such an interesting thing, and I really like that you are starting our by exploiting such an important issue to the online world.
ReplyDeleteIt would be great to hear more (and more specifically) about the topics: What is your general attitude towards digital tools?
What do you hope to get out of the class?
And, SPECIFICALLY, which digital skill or tool do you plan to master over the course of the term?
sojourn!
ReplyDeleteim happy to be working with you digitally! especially after a great (and funny) summer class with binks! i admire your proficiency in combining different materials to create such curious and tactile sculptures. i remember you briefly admitted they derive from a personal place, but they dont appear that way, nor do you normally characterize them as such.
ill much more readily admit that my work is absolutely personal. and by working so 'intuitively' lately, by reading different books about contemporary art, and by being pressured to find the source of my inspiration, im finding out some interesting things about myself.. identity is an infinitely vast and important issue in contemporary art. i know ill be delving into the topic more this semester.
im eager to see how you choose to make digital art in comparison to your sculptures; will you be making a video, sound piece, or an online piece? will you combine it with your sculptures in an installation?
also, do already have a website, or will you be working on one as well as jennings, ivan, and i?
Vikkita!
ReplyDeleteI do have a website, which seems like a perpetual project! I have been slowly gathering content and one of these days I will take a leap forward and make it the way it was intended to be! Here's the address:
http://www.nochovka.com